My grandma and I would always make BIG batches of chocolate zucchini bread when I would visit her. It was a family ordeal — my grandpa would bring in a zucchini from the garden and grandma and I would bake. My grandma is no longer able to make zucchini bread and I no longer can eat the gluten. But it was an experience as a little girl I never want to forget. Work to create fun traditions with your children!
My kids and I love to grow our zucchini and love harvesting it. Towards the end of zucchini season when we’re all a little sick of zucchini everything we start to pureé the zucchini and freeze it. We actually measure it out in 1 cup and 2 cup portions so we can easily thaw and use for recipes like this one. Freezing your veggies in the right portion will save you time later!
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips — I use this kind because they are gluten, soy and dairy free
- 2 tablespoons organic, fair trade cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic zucchini, pureé
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Pureé zucchini in a food processor
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the cocoa powder, coconut sugar, flour, baking soda, eggs, vanilla, melted chocolate, and zucchin
- Stir to combine
- Pour the batter into baking muffin papers or a glass baking dish if you prefer to make cake or brownies out of the batter
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
Do you have a recipe that is special to you?